Begumpur station in Hooghly district of West Bengal, India. Indian Railways has acquired land in that area. After acquisition, the authorities ordered the demolition of houses and structures built on those lands. As per that order more than 90 houses were demolished. But Khok Mandal did not demolish his two-storey house.

The two-storey building was moved 54 feet without breaking
Two-storey building


Khokon Mandal 2800 sq ft two storey house near railway gate no 20 begumpur station. Khokon Mandal had built that house two decades ago. But suddenly he got into trouble due to the acquisition of the house land. Khokon could not accept that the beloved home should be torn down. So find another way.


Khokon Mandal has more land behind where the house was built. He plans to move the house back to that land. According to that plan, he started moving the house by 'Uthan' method. Meanwhile, the two-storey house is being lifted and kept 54 feet away from it.


Khokon Mandal said, 'My house comes under the acquired land. For this I have to change my house. After taking the land, I found that there is more land behind my house. After discussing with the family, I decided to shift the house to my land behind the house.


When asked why he is walking around without demolishing the house, Khokon Mandal said, "I built this house after working abroad and saving money." That's why I love this house. That's why I didn't want to break the house. In today's market, at least Rs 40 lakh is needed to build such a house. There I saw that if I move the house with this special method, then the work of moving my house can be completed in 15-18 lakhs.


When asked who did the work of moving the house, Khokos said, "A Haryana-based company does house shifting or lifting work. I knew about that organization. Then I decide to transfer the house through agency. After that we started the work of moving the house. A lot of work has already been done.


When asked how the two-storey house is being shifted, Khokon said, "First, we vacate the house. Then the ground floor is dug out and the house is buried two and a half feet first. After that with the help of machines Hydraulic jugs are installed by cutting the walls. Later iron drains are placed on one side of the house and jugs are placed in those drains to create pressure and the house is slowly shaken. A total of 400 such jugs were used.


Lots of people are thronging to see Khokon's house being removed. However, there are a number of difficulties one has to face while doing this work, Khokon said. "Work has to be stopped many times because of the soft soil. There are other problems too," he said. But no matter how many difficulties come, Khokon Mandal said that he would not let his beloved home be destroyed.


The report is based on a video by German broadcaster DW.